Thursday, January 14, 2016

Interaction of coastal aquifer and lake water level

Hi,
Tomorrow is my 3rd thesis report day. I am now finished with the presentation and I just started to do analysis on groundwater.
In the first place, I started with Pearson correlation coefficient. Result are very interesting, as I mentioned before, there is a strong evidence that groundwater and lake have strong relations. Accounting for a probable cross-correlation lag between lake and ground water, it sounds like interaction between these two are inevitable. AS you can see in Fig.1 Pearson correlation coefficient in West bank of the Lake is negative while positive correlations are observed in the East bank of the lake.


Fig.1. Iso-correlation map of the Lake Urmia, defining the negative correlation coefficient for the West (Left) and positive correlation for the East (Right) bank

This values some how make sense while, the incline of the terrain in the West bank is more rapid and sharp. Fig. 2 shows a schematic representation of geological features in the Lake Urmia. In the West bank of the lake, groundwater elevation changes in reverse order with the lake and decreases when the lake water level increase. On the other hand, in East bank, lake water level and ground water elevation changes in the same way. This could be an evidence to recognize that, salinity intrusion is more severe in the East bank of the lake (East Azerbaijan) while the West bank plays more active role in interaction.

Fig. 2. Schematic of lake Urmia and the possible interaction between lake and coastal aquifer

Please share your comments with me
Thankfully
Babak

2 comments:

  1. hi there I am a Urban University student at Urmia University I need your thesis Can you send it to me؟

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, unfortunately it is protected up to year 2020 by ITU preservation law of copy right. There are also 2 papers of mine based on these studies that are not published yet. You can still ask me about what ever you need. I also can provide you my last papers about this thesis.

    ReplyDelete