Sunday, March 9, 2014

About

Hi everyone,

This is my official weblog on my PhD. thesis about a closed basin lake named "Lake Urmia".
Lake Urmia, located in NW of Iran, is the third largest salt-water lake on earth (Garousi et all, 2013) and is the most recognizable natural phenomenon known between two East and West Azerbaijan borders. Registered as a biosphere reserve by UNESCO and listed as a wetland of international importance under the 1971 Ramsar Convention (Nazaridoust, 2011), lake Urmia is a unique closed basin lake. During the last decade (since 2000), Lake Urmia has been shrinking significantly and its depth has fallen by almost seven meters, compared to pre-2000 levels (Fig 1). Experts believe that surface flow diversions, groundwater extraction, and the lack of efficient water management are the main reasons.



Urmia is my hometown, so I decided to choose the topic of my thesis on lake Urmia. you can find more information about me on about me, available on this weblog.

Babak. Vaheddoost